February 13th, 2020
52 mins 4 secs
About this Episode
Dan talks about Spotify and The Ringer, rising podcast revenue, the size of podcast audiences, Chartable and IAB, SiriusXM and SoundCloud, Audio Hijack, travel USB/XLR mics, 4-input audio interfaces, and listener questions!
Please support the show on Patreon!Support Podcast Method
- Spotify is buying Bill Simmons’s The Ringer - Vox — Spotify is making yet another big-budget purchase aimed at getting a lead in the growing podcast industry: The streaming music company has agreed to a deal to purchase The Ringer, the podcast-centric media company run and owned by Bill Simmons.
- The Ringer’s Price Tag Revealed. | Podcast News Daily | insideradio.com — In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Spotify tells investors that it will pay between $141 and $195 million for The Ringer.
- Podcast Ad Revenues Are Quickly Rising - eMarketer Trends, Forecasts & Statistics — The podcasting industry continues to explode with potential for advertisers, and the numbers show it: Marketers spent $479 million on podcast ads in 2018, and podcast advertising revenues are projected to surpass $1 billion by 2021, according to figures from the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and PwC.
- Nielsen: Podcast Listening On Track To Double By 2023. | Podcast News Daily | insideradio.com — More than two decades since becoming a thing, podcast listening is now expanding at a compound annual growth rate of 20%, according to Nielsen Scarborough data from 2014-2019. If that rate continues, the podcast audience could double by 2023. “It’s still growing at a tremendous clip,” Tony Hereau, VP Cross Platform Insights at Nielsen, said Tuesday.
- Chartable achieves IAB Tech Lab Podcast Measurement Certification - Chartable — Chartable, the podcast measurement company, today announced that it has been officially certified by the IAB Technology Laboratory.
- SiriusXM Makes $75 Million Investment in SoundCloud – Variety — SiriusXM Holdings has invested $75 million in SoundCloud, the open audio platform beloved by musicians that has struggled to find a place in a the streaming-service hierarchy. SoundCloud will use this additional investment to accelerate its product development and enhance the services that fuel its global community of creators and listeners, according to the announcement.
- Google Podcasts — Google's new podcast homepage.
- Podcast Subscriber Tracking Is Pointless - Evo Terra - Medium — Most podcasters want one thing: for people to listen to their content. So it makes sense that understanding a podcast’s total subscriber count would be a good thing. Only… it isn’t.
- Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (3rd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First: Musical Instruments
- Amazon.com: Universal Audio Arrow Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface: Musical Instruments
- Amazon.com: Samson Q2U USB/XLR Dynamic Microphone Recording and Podcasting Pack (Includes Mic Clip, Desktop Stand, Windscreen and Cables): Musical Instruments
- Amazon.com: Shure SM58-LC Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone: Musical Instruments
- RØDECaster Pro
- Rogue Amoeba | Audio Hijack: Record Any Audio on MacOS — Record any application's audio, including VoIP calls from Skype, web streams from Safari, and much more. Save audio from hardware devices like microphones and mixers as well. You can even record all the audio heard on your Mac at once! If you can hear it, Audio Hijack can record it.
- Amazon.com: Shure SM7B Cardioid Dynamic Microphone: Musical Instruments
- Open Podcast Analytics Working Group
- Fireside Podcast Hosting and Analytics — Use promo code PODCASTMETHOD2020 for 20% off for two months!